Bryce Menzies’ second consecutive victory in the Trophy Truck category of the Tecate SCORE Baja 500 gave BFGoodrich® Tires its 29th win in 33 years and 76th overall SCORE race win. Team BFGoodrich member Menzies now has his sights set on crossing the finish line first in November at the 45th annual SCORE Baja 1000.
"Congratulations to all of the teams who tackled this year’s rigorous Tecate SCORE Baja 500 on BFGoodrich tires, and a great job by all the class winners," said Peter Calhoun, motorsports manager, BFGoodrich Tires. "We celebrate with our winning teams, but as we turn off the lights, we immediately shift our focus to the 45th anniversary of the legendary Tecate SCORE Baja 1000."
Menzies, who was 19th off the start line, fought through extreme temperature variations and dusty conditions on the course to finish eleven seconds in front of BJ Baldwin’s Chevrolet Silverado in the second closest Baja 500 finish on record. Throughout the fast-paced race, Menzies and co-driver Pete Mortensen averaged 48.77 miles per hour to finish with a winning time of 9 hours, 13 minutes and 39 seconds. Racers using BFGoodrich tires in total claimed first place in 15 of the 19 pro four-wheel classes, including 18 of the first 20 finishers across the finish line. Jesse Jones completed the overall podium, running on BFGoodrich Baja T/A™ KR tires, finishing third, 17 minutes and 26 seconds behind Menzies, after starting 35th in his Ford F-250 Trophy Truck.
"We fought back against the elements today and knew we had the team and the tires to win in the end," commented Menzies as the race concluded. "My equipment was incredible throughout the race. We had our BFGoodrich tires on from the pit at mile 200 and they carried us through to the flag. I couldn't be happier than I am right now."
BFGoodrich tires also helped other drivers dominate their individual classes. Luke McMillin and Justin Bean Smith demolished their competition in Class 1, finishing fifth overall at a speedy 45.35 MPH in a Chevrolet-powered Jimco open-wheel desert racer, while Rudolfo Iribe continued his stellar season by winning Class 8 in a Chevrolet Silverado, and Clyde Stacy conquered Class 5-1600 in a 1600cc VW Baja Bug. In Class 3, brothers Donald and Ken Moss took the victory for their team’s 40th first place SCORE finish.
2012 Tecate SCORE Baja 500 Race Information
The 2012 Tecate SCORE Baja 500 started and finished in downtown Ensenada on Boulevard Costero for the fifth straight year. This year's tight and technical course ran in a clockwise direction for the eighth straight year. This year’s Tecate SCORE Baja 500 saw 259 starters from 34 U.S. states and 15 countries competing in Pro and Sportsman classes for cars, trucks, motorcycles and ATVs in Ensenada, Mexico.
The following is a list of finishers in the SCORE Trophy Truck Class that used BFGoodrich tires at the 2012 Tecate SCORE Baja 500:
1. Bryce Menzies, Las Vegas, Ford F-150, 9 hours, 13 minutes, 39 seconds (48.77 miles per hour)
3. Jesse Jones, Phoenix, Ford F-250, 9:31:15
4. Dan McMillin, La Mesa, Calif./Chuck Hovey, Escondido, Calif./Mark McMillin, El Cajon, Calif, Ford F-150, 9:46:27
5. Mark Weyhrich, Troutdale, Ore., Ford F-150, 9:56:50
6. Andy McMillin/Scott McMillin, National City, Calif., Ford F-150, 9:59:50
7. Chris Kemp, San Clemente, Calif./Dave Tounget, Murrieta, Calif., Ford Raptor, 10:02:20
8. Juan C. Lopez, Tecate, Mexico, Chevrolet Silverado, 10:32:59
9. Kory Scheeler, Las Vegas, Ford F-150, 10:46:24
10. Ken Losch, Chandler, Ariz., Chevrolet Silverado, 10:51:20
11. Rob MacCachren, Las Vegas, Ford F-150, 10:51:57
13. Gary Magness/Davin Housh, Desert Hot Springs, Calif., Ford F-150, 11:07:21
15. Tim Herbst, Las Vegas/Larry Roeseler, Boulevard, Calif., Ford F-150, 11:19:09
16. Ryan Arciero, Foothill Ranch, Calif./Troy Herbst, Las Vegas, Ford F-150, 11:30:31
18. Adam Householder/Terry Householder, Anaheim, Calif., Chevrolet Silverado, 12:05:28
20. Greg Nunley, Tulare, Calif./John Lennon, Paradise Valley, Calif., Ford F-150, 14:42:11
21. Steven Strobel, Clarks, Neb./Dale Ebberts, Wilton, Calif., Ford F-150, 16:35:20
22. Brendan Gaughan/Brian Collins, Las Vegas, Dodge Ram 1500, 17:29:24
23. Nick Vanderwey, Phoenix/Curt LeDuc, Cherry Valley, Calif./Larry Vanderwey, Litchfield Park, Ariz., Chevrolet Silverado, 17:33:15
Drivers riding on BFGoodrich tires earned first place in 15 pro classes:
SCORE Trophy Truck: Bryce Menzies, Las Vegas, Ford F-150, 9:13:39 (48.77 mph) (SCORE Trophy Truck)
CLASS 1 (Unlimited single or two-seaters): Luke McMillin, El Cajon, Calif./Justin Bean Smith, Capistrano Beach, Calif., Jimco-Chevrolet, 9:55:22 (45.35 mph)
CLASS 2 (Unlimited open-wheel, car/truck, 3.5-Liter Turbo or supercharged): Clyde Stacy, Bristol, Va./Mike Powell, Bristol, Tenn./Steven Arlia, Phoenix, Mason-Chevrolet, 15:06:03 (29.80 mph)
CLASS 3 (Short wheelbase 4X4): Donald Moss, Sacramento, Calif./Ken Moss, Marysville, Calif., Ford Bronco, 14:53:38 (30.21 mph)
CLASS 4 (Unlimited open-wheel car, 2.2/2.4-Liter Ecotec engine): Derek Fletcher, Abingdon, Va./Christyan Samano, Ensenada, Mexico, PSD-Chevrolet, 14:28:17 (31.10 mph)
CLASS 5 (Unlimited VW Baja Bugs): Jose Lopez/Charly Lopez, Mexicali, Mexico, 16:54:38 (26.61 mph)
CLASS 5 -1600 (1600cc VW Baja Bugs): Clyde Stacy, Bristol, Va./Thomas Fernandez/Ramon Fernandez, Ensenada, Mexico, 15:37:04 (28.81 mph)
CLASS 6 (Unlimited, production mini trucks): Gavin Skilton, Anaheim, Calif., Honda Pilot, 14:33:17 (30.92 mph)
CLASS 7 (Open, production mini trucks): Victor Herrera Sr/Tijuana, Mexico/Victor Herrera Jr, Menifee, Calif., Ford Ranger, 14:55:56 (30.14 mph)
CLASS 7SX (Modified, open mini trucks): Ricardo Garcia/Rudy Suarez, Ensenada, Mexico, Ford Ranger, 16:08:41 (27.87 mph)
CLASS 8 (Full-sized two-wheel drive trucks): Rudolfo Iribe, Tijuana, Mexico, Chevrolet Silverado, 15:58:08 (28.18 mph)
CLASS 10 (Single or two-seaters to 1650cc): Matt Cullen/Mike Lombardi, Long Beach, Calif./Chuck Sacks, Canyon Lake, Calif., AlumiCraft-Honda, 11:20:03 (39.70 mph);
STOCK FULL (Stock, Full-sized trucks): Wes Bevly III/Chad Bunch, Corpus Christi, Texas, Ford F-150, 19:40:57 (22.86 mph).
STOCK MINI (Stock, mini trucks): Andy Bell/Ted Moncure/Nick Moncure, Long Beach, Calif., Toyota Tacoma, 19:09:09 (23.50 mph)
PROTRUCK (Limited, production trucks): Chelsea Magness, Desert Hot Springs, Calif./Todd Burt, Denver, Ford F-150, 17:40:43 (25.45 mph)
Using motorsports as a proving ground for more than 40 years, BFGoodrich® Tires is involved in nearly every type of racing, including road racing, autocrossing, drag, desert, closed course off-road, rally and extreme rock crawling. BFGoodrich Tires combines technological expertise with vast motorsports experience, delivering a high-performance tire for every type of vehicle. Visit BFGoodrich Tires at www.BFGoodrichTires.com on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/bfgoodrichtires or on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/BFGoodrichTires.